Friday, June 1, 2012

Review: Mealtrain.com

A few weeks ago, good friends of ours had their second child.  I mentioned in this post that I was going to use Mealtrain.com, an online meal organizing tool, to set this up.  I was unsure, never having used anything like this before, but now that we are finished here are my thoughts on this site.
 Pros:
  • Easy to stay super-organized.  The interface allows you the option of booking your own date.  Once you click "Book this date," it gives you a place to enter your name and the dish you are bringing and then posts that information so new users can be sure there are no repeats of dishes.
  • Displays directions. It provides the address with a map to the location, in case you haven't been there before. It also allows for information on number of family members, allergies, and special instructions.
  • Sends Reminders.  It sends a reminder email to you a day or two before you are scheduled to bring the meal. This is helpful for those who may be forgetful (like me, lately!).
Cons:
  • Setting up a user profile.  Maybe it's just me, but I hate having to set up a username and password for something I will not use frequently.  I get that as the organizer I should have one, but I would hate having to create a profile as someone who is bringing the meal.  I am taking a meal to someone this week using takethemameal.com and I could go right in and sign up without a user profile.  I understand, however, that the username helps make the site more secure, and if I were the person receiving the meals, I don't know that I would like my info out in the open.
All in all, I thought it was a good way to organize meals.  The friend who was receiving the meals said she liked it as well.  My cousin is having a baby any day now, and I will probably use this to organize her meals too.

No comments:

Post a Comment