Saturday, August 3, 2013

New Thing: 5K

Several weeks ago, I saw this sign while stopped at a stop light:
It's a horrible picture, but it says BIG SHUNGA 5K Walk & 8K Run
It sounded like something Lindsey might be interested in, so I took a pic and sent it to her.  Our texting conversation went something like this:
L: We should totally do that!
M: Um...we?  I meant you.
L: Why not? It's a walk and it's only 3 miles.
M: Mmm...I don't think so.
L: Why not? You can cross it off a do list.
M: It's not on any of my do lists.
L: It will be fun.
That was the basic gist.  It sounded totally intimidating.  She was right - it was only 3 miles, and she and I usually do 4 when we walk together so it really wouldn't be a big deal, but this was, like, official.  Like...a race.  I don't think so.  But when a co-worker of ours showed an interest in doing it too, I decided I could handle it.  It would be a new thing, and something that I could put on a do list and be happy to cross off.  Plus it would be a small sort of culmination of my work this summer.

So I signed up, showed up, and felt a small thrill as I donned my super cool race t-shirt and pinned my bib number thing to my shirt.
I look like the biggest nerd in this picture.
I was very happy to be among such wonderful friends and coworkers.  Cindy and I (two on the left) were first timers, but Lindsey and Luke (on right) are veterans.  Luke is in particular, being a track athlete in high school and college and a coach now.  He was doing the 8K run, of course.
I walked the whole way.  I could have run some of it, and in fact, I guess I did a little.  I didn't realize that it's race etiquette to pick up your drinks and then LITTER by throwing the cups on the ground.  I picked up some and ran them back to the trash and then ran back to catch up before Lindsey had a chance to tell me that it was okay - there were people designated to come around and pick them up.  (I could NEVER throw my trash on the ground, whether someone was following behind me or not!)  But aside from that and sprinting the last twenty yards (so I could beat Lindsey), I walked.  It was wonderful.  It was muggy.  There were bugs.  I was sweaty.  But it was fun!
And I am going to hang my bib number thing in my classroom as a mark of this small accomplishment. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment