The Beginning of Everything
by Robyn Schneider
Format: Kindle
Price: $2.99
Price: $2.99
Basic Premise: Ezra Faulkner has always been defined by his athletic ability. But when a car wreck leaves him without the full use of a leg, he finds himself trapped in a weird limbo of the school's social hierarchy as he struggles to define himself after sports.
Meh. This is another book I could really take or leave. It was one of those books that made me feel like I'd read it before. The story itself was strongly reminiscent of Paper Towns and Stargirl - a boy is taken by a girl who is different and dazzling unattainable and aloof and indefinable and who ultimately stays that way. The big "mystery" of the story - the thing I was supposed to be wondering throughout the book but wasn't because the rest of the story just didn't take me there - was anticlimactic. I liked Schneider's writing style and the way the story moved. I was not particularly attached to the characters, though I did like Ezra's quick wit and personality. I would like to explore more books by this author and, as this is a 2014 title, am curious about whether it will be discussed at my YAL conference next month.

No comments:
Post a Comment