Wednesday, May 22, 2013

I Am Not Fat

 I think it's extremely important to make a distinction between the following statements:
1. I am fat
and
2. I have fat
When you say "I am," you are tying what follows to your identity - who you are.  Some may disagree, but I don't believe "fat" is part of anyone's identity.  I have fat.  But it is not what I am.

Here are things I am:
  1. I am a child of the Most High God.
  2. I am a woman.
  3. I am a sister.
  4. I am a daughter.
  5. I am a wife.
  6. I am a mommy.
  7. I am a volunteer.
  8. I am a friend.
  9. I am a teacher.
  10. I am a hoot. :)
Here are things I have:
  1. I have a short attention span.
  2. I have big mouth.
  3. I have too much concern for what people think about me.
  4. I have issues with taking medications.
  5. I have a hard time letting things go.
  6. I have family issues.
  7. I have back issues.
  8. I have money issues.
  9. I have some (minor) OCD tendencies that alienate me from normal people.
  10. I have fat.
There is no question that the things I have impact the things I am.  My tendency to hold on to hurts affects who I am as a friend.  My OCD tendencies keep me from being the kind of volunteer I would like to be.  The fact that I carry around probably forty extra pounds impacts the way I view myself as a wife and mother.  It probably contributes to my back issues, too.

But the things I have are changeable.  It is within my power to make things different.  These things are not tied to my identity and they are not where my value is found.  I think this is an extremely important distinction, because if the things on the first list do not fulfill me - if I cannot be happy and content with these things, then losing my fat, getting better skin, making money - none of these things will make an ounce of difference.  I want to lose the fat because I want to take better care of myself, be fit, and look good.  But these things are not what make me content.

This is a heart issue.  My identity is in who I am, not what I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment