Thursday, May 15, 2014

Post-Run Stress Disorder :/


I ran on Tuesday night (details here).  Wednesday, during my plan, I ran down to the fitness room because with the talent show rehearsal that night, I knew there was NO way I was going to get exercise in that evening.  I did just short of two miles at a pace of about 15:40.  That was at 2:00.

At 5:00, while I'm sitting on the floor in the gym running kids through our talent show rehearsals, a began, quite suddenly, to experience a shooting pain through my lower back and into my upper thigh on my right side.  It was so bad that I could no longer sit on the floor.  I hoped it would be better after I walked around a little, but by the time I got home I was down flat with a heating pad.  I have had back pain since my daughter's birth and have seen doctors multiple times, but this was worse than ANYTHING I had yet experienced.  I was able to sleep, but I woke every time I shifted positions and prayed it would be better in the morning.  It wasn't.  I gimped around like an old lady with my upper body tilting forward and a grimace on my face.

So what does that mean for running?  I don't know.  It's possible that this is a fluke and that the incident was not caused by the running.  I don't think this is likely because, when I was trying to get my constant back pain to go away, I was seeing doctors and getting treatments (which were of no help, mind you), the doctor told me specifically that running was one of the worst things I could do for my back.  It is also possible that I ran wrong.  Perhaps my form was bad, or my shoes (a used pair I picked up for cheap) are all wrong, or it's really not a good idea to run one minute on and one minute off like the Nike app said.

Bottom line: I am totally stressed about it.  I really want to learn to run because:
  • it takes less time than walking
  • runners are the coolest people on the face of the earth (I have always believed this)
  • it's a great way to keep in shape
  • it takes less time than walking
  • it's a hatred/fear I have carried with me my whole life and I REALLY want to conquer it
  • Lindsey is gung-ho about helping me, and I really appreciate that and don't want to let her down, even though I know she would understand
  • it takes less time than walking
Sigh.  I don't know what to do. I am not calling it quits, just trying to figure out ways I might continue.  I'm hoping to squeeze a yoga class in this weekend to see if it relieves the back pain. :/

No comments:

Post a Comment